There have been a lot of posts and rumours over the past few months about the Olympus E3 successor and even if it will actually be made. I found one recently by Bill Beebe that has a short wish list for the new Olympus Pro body. I share most of his wishes but after seeing a fake mockup on a dpreview forum, I'm drooling over what could be.
Just a pipe dream, but the idea of an integrated grip really appeals to me. I always leave on my battery grip as it is and think that an integrated one would be better in so many ways (smaller and more weather sealed than a separate grip and better ergonomics). I like the dual screens and the button layout. I imagine the camera could actually be significantly smaller than the E3 and grip. If I could have some other wishes they would be:
- Much improved ISO performance. I don't expect it to be as good as my Canon 5DmkII, but a usable ISO 3200 would be nice indeed. I should say this would go with better dynamic range.
- Faster frame rate. I'm just being greedy here. 5 frames per second is fast enough, but I'd like to see it class leading, around 10 or 11.
- A reclaim of the throne for "fastest focusing camera in the world" with the SWD lenses (we will see more SWD lenses right Olympus?).
- An improvement on Continuous Focusing performance that rivals the Canon 7D.
- A continuation on excellent build quality and weather sealing like already in the E3.
- A much bigger LCD with much much higher resolution. I know this is going to get me mobbed, but I don't really care about whether it flips or not. It is neat, but not necessary.
- Wireless flash improvements, especially something where they had a built in Pocket Wizard TTL setup. That would be industry leading and awesome. Of course they would need new flashes, and since they do, I wouldn't mind more from the FL50R successor like more power and better zoom and recycle time.
Things I could care less if it had:
- More megapixels. I've printed large from the 10 already in the E3 and my computer slows noticeably with the 21 of the Canon dslr I already have. I'm sure they need to pump it up some to make some folks happy, but keep it 14 or so please.
- video. It will have it, but I could care less.
Now if Olympus were listening to me (hey, you never know!) then they would have to finally release a small weather sealed dslr or micro four thirds camera to make those people that have been wishing for it happy. It could be an E620 refreshed with some weather sealing.
Is Olympus going to even put this camera out? I don't know. I'm starting to doubt it. I have the legendary 35-100 f2.0 lens coming from LensLenders this week which I'm looking forward to trying. If I could be sure a new pro body was coming I'd very likely purchase that lens and its 150mm f2.0 cousin which would nicely round out my lens lineup. But before I drop $5000+ on lenses, the cameras have to be there. Kirk Tuck has a similar post right now on his blog.
In the meantime, my next gear purchase will be a Canon prime lens (haven't really figured that out yet) and I'm thinking very much about getting a continuous light to play with during portraits and weddings. I'm interested in playing with WYSISYG lighting and I'm considering the Lowel Blender LED light.
If all this gear talk is too much for you, just don't go reading this review by Steve Huff of the Leica S2. Ultimate gear envy.
PMA is over so I expect we will hit a gear lull for a while. No matter, just more time for actual photography!