Sunday, April 5, 2009

A New Book

I've been home for four days suffering from the flu, and despite it causing me to miss two days of work, one hockey practice and one photo shoot at least it gave me time to catch up on some reading.   This morning I finished a book called "Digital Portrait Photography" by Steve Sint.
You can find a link to the book on Amazon on the right hand side of the blog.  

Digital Portrait Photography turned out to be a very nice surprise for me.  It is a book that many photographers from novice to newly pro would find very useful.  Steve breaks down the art of posing, style and even makeup in portrait photography.  He goes even further and talks briefly about the business of being a portrait photographer, gear, etc.  While most of this information is available on the web if you do enough trolling and reading, there is nothing like having it all in one place in a single book.  In the end it reads like a recipe book of suggested do's and don'ts for a new portrait photographer.  I say suggested because throughout the book Steve encourages you to break his rules and make your own.    I've certainly learned over the past year or so that every photographer is different, they each have their own wisdom and set of experiences, but the more you can learn from them the easier your road will be.  This is a book I'd highly recommend for anyone starting out in this business.

Now as for us, both Adam and I have this flu.  It has set me back a bit as we were trying to finish up the Parks and Recreation project and we have the University of Victoria Alumni event coming up in two weeks.  Illness can't be helped though I guess.  Adam did repair our website and it is back up and looking very much improved!  

Lastly, Henry's emailed me to say that my 50mm f1.4 Sigma lens is on the way.  That makes me pretty happy as I'll have it for a wedding and the UVic event in the next month.  A review of my thoughts on the lens is sure to follow as soon as I've had a chance to use it.

No comments: